Monday, November 21, 2011

phipps farmers market for children




Although I love city living, I sometimes feel like I am on concrete overload.  To combat the feelings of needing an ocean or a field we pack up and take a short drive to Phipps Conservatory.  Yes, I am obsessed with this place.  I feel like I write about it a lot.  Like here and here.  

But seriously.  Phipps has outdone itself.  The Farmers Market is beautiful play space for children in a beautiful setting that helps me breath when I start to feel a little claustrophobic.  


The space is very well thought out, equipped with a number of shopping carts (two different sizes - one perfect for new walkers and one for the *big* kids) labeled fruit and vegetable stations, a butcher shop, a bakery, and two check out stations.  The boxes are labeled with words and pictures to make clean up into a fun sorting game.  







Menus for different dinners.  Some children need a task when it comes to pretend play.  It does not always come naturally - sometimes it needs to be modeled.  This menu is a simple way to give a child a visual prompt in what to do during play.  Love it.  




Did I mention that one of my favorite play experiences as a child involved a pretend play grocery store at a children's museum in South Darthmouth, MA that has since closed.  I can still remember filling up baskets with corn, pizza, and apples with my little brother.  We used to have a ball.  Maybe that is one reason why I am a little partial to this space?


A scale that works.



Cash register for checking out.  They even have these items affixed to the child size tables.




And although I did not condone this behavior, it was mighty cute.  




Well done, Phipps.  We are very happy members.

No comments:

Post a Comment