Wednesday, November 16, 2011

eleanor's birth story.

After my big day out to three grocery stores, cooking for an army but really just to feed our family of soon to be four, and a late night run to a baby superstore, I woke up tired and feeling very slow.  And feeling all done being pregnant.  But it was a still a week before my due date and things in our life are rarely early... we are ten minutes late kind of people.

I went to see the fairy godmothers as we refer to them around our house.  Without going into too much detail, the midwife said I could probably have the baby today but maybe tomorrow.  Okay.  I should probably go pack a bag or something I remember mumbling dumbly.

Instead of packing a bag, I went to my mom's and took a nap.  Gram played with Abby and I think I slept a bit.  After my nap, I felt tired but okay so I decided to take Abby back to our house and so I could hurry up and wait.  On my way home, I started to have contractions but didn't want to admit it.

Abs and I played a bit.  I wandered aimlessly upstairs and down.  My bag still wasn't packed and I really needed to finish knitting a hat for Eleanor.  Obviously, I am completely rational.  Hence quadrupling recipes.  Clean sheets needed to be put on the bed.  I knew what needed to be done, but I couldn't do a thing.

And then contractions started to come steadily.  Slowly and not too strong.  Just enough to be annoying.

Our kitchen was freshly renovated and finished the week before.  Someone came to complete a few little things.  I joked with him that if I had to go get the ladder in the basement I would have the baby that night.  I didn't tell him I was having contractions.  I hadn't even told Josh yet.  So once he left, I called Josh to tell him it was probably time to come home.  It was around 4 p.m.

Josh took his sweeeet time getting home.  I probably should have been a little bit more direct, but I didn't know how fast things were going to go.  I called the midwives to check in.  I called my parents and they came to play with Abby.  At 5 p.m. I went up stairs to try to finish knitting my hat, make my bed, and pack my bag.  Yes, in that order.  I halfheartedly packed a bag with a sweet little outfit, some newborn diapers, a hat, and some random odds and ends for me.  The bed didn't get made by me nor did the hat get finished.

Nearing 6 p.m. Josh came home and had some dinner.  I was doing the strong contraction thing upstairs.  It may appear that I am painting Josh in a bad light, but I might be like a cat when it comes to labor - I would rather go off in a dark corner and do it by myself.

At 6:30 p.m. I knew it is time to go to birthing center so we go.  I kiss my little girl goodbye and tell her we will see her soon.  The car ride is as close to hell as I want to ever get.  Nuff said about that.

I literally bolted as fast a woman in transition can bolt to the jacuzzi tub.  I quietly hung out there trying to let go of controlling the pain and go with it.  But truthfully, I was scared and tired and I kept saying, "I just don't want to do this anymore."

Our midwife gave me some options and I choose the one that could bring Eleanor here faster: break my water.  Josh asked if I want some music.  It was still in the car.  Do not leave me was all I could think.  I'm not sure if I responded verbally.  He stayed with me.  My water was broken.  I had an urge to push that could have moved a mountain and Eleanor was out of me and in my arms.  Just like that.  So quickly.  So quietly.  Just like the night.  It was around 8 p.m.

At 9 p.m. even though it was late, our parents came with our little night owl so she could meet her baby sister.  The first thing she said as she held her sister was, "Oh Mommy, can we take her home with us?"  I think we can arrange that, my dear.

A very happy birthday to my dear little Eleanor.  

1 comment:

  1. Such a sweet story. Congratulations one year later!