Tuesday, August 2, 2011

little girls


Do you have a little girl?  Do you teach young girls?  Do you have a niece or granddaughter?  Then I suggest you read this blog post about talking with girls.  Do you ever compliment a little girl on how cute she is based on what she is wearing?  Right.  I've totally done it.  I did it last weekend.  Although I make a conscious effort not to do that with Abby, I am definitely guilty.

I could spout off some pretty depressing stats about on how we are raising girls in a culture that blatantly tells them they are never enough - six year olds are dieting, twelve year olds want plastic surgery, and the list goes on.  I don't want to focus on all that is wrong with our culture because that doesn't really change anything.  Changing the little things we do - like trying not to gush over the way our littles look - is just a start, but I think it could make a powerful difference.

Read it and then come back and tell me what you think.

If you are interested in this subject, here is a great book Josh and I have read and highly recommend.

Thanks to Rae Rae for passing the post along to me!  If you have any other resources you have found helpful, let me know.

2 comments:

  1. Love this post! We don't have any kids of our own yet but definitely my first instinct is always to compliment little girls shoes or clothes (partly because I have no idea how to interact with children) but also because I never really thought about the possible results of those interactions. Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so hard not to comment on it, because they truly are so adorable! Such a good reminder. xx

    ReplyDelete