Monday, October 31, 2011

the mama owl and the baby owl

I have a love/hate relationship with Halloween.  I love trick or treating (especially with Abby).  I love candy.  I love making fun costumes with things we have on hand.  I hate scary decorations that frighten Abby and just look straight up tacky.  I don't appreciate teenagers dressing up in scary things and looting for candy.  But I digress.  And I sound old and cranky.    

I pretty much talked Abby in to being an owl.  I just didn't have it in me for another year of princess fairy ballerina, which is what she had been tossing around.  The only way she would buy the idea was if she was the mama owl and Eleanor was the baby owl.  These bird wings have been all over pinterest as of late and I have been antsy to make them.   Here is a tutorial for the wings. 


Laying out the costume before trying it on (She does this with all of her outfits too.)


Abby picked out her yarn for her hat and Eleanor's too.  If you are a member of ravelry, you can check out the owl hat pattern here.


I wanted to make something with things we had (I did have to buy the yarn and the hat pattern, but the girls needed winter hats) and they will be used again.  Whooooo doesn't want a pair of rainbow bird wings???  So they will now go in the dress up bin for some imaginary play to be used as owls, birds, butterflies and who knows what else.  


This is the best I could do for together shots.  It started to rain the minute we walked outside to go to our neighbor's awesome potluck hangout.




1 comment:

  1. Those owl costumes are beautiful! I made Selah an owl costume too, however it is nothing compared to yours :) I love all the colors you used!

    ReplyDelete