Wednesday, September 28, 2011

art group is up and running... and pretty awesome



Okay in my world, nothing is better than setting up art for little ones and then watching them go to town on the finger paint.


For some it was their first experience with paint.  Some were hesitant and did not want to touch the mysterious looking substance.  Some dove right in submerging their entire hands in the cool smooth paint.  It was equally thrilling (yes, thrilling to this former teacher) to watch both sets of children experience the finger painting process.


 It was also so much fun to watch the grown-ups interact with their children through the process.







So like any experience with young children, there was definitely some chaos and some kinks to work out (like rotating 25 children and their adults through an art space built for about 10), but for me, the first art group was a great success.  

I have to be honest.  I have not missed the ins and outs of teaching one day since I've been home with my two girls.  I am grateful for the experience, but I do not miss it.  Yet I realized today that I have missed planning and observing.  Yes, I plan for and observe my children aaaaaaall day, but there is something really special about getting to do that with a group of children.

I don't think Abby spent more than 3 minutes in the art area.  She was having a ball in the other areas of the Pittsburgh Toy Lending Library... where the art group is taking place.  It is possibly the perfect place to have an art group.  There is a space for art and fun, developmentally appropriate *centers* to play before or after the art group - it looks like a very well thought out preschool.  There is even a designated area for snacking - love it.  

And here are the details of the Toddlers, Twos, and Threes Art Group.




No comments:

Post a Comment